Category Archives: community

It’s All About the Little Things

As a volunteer or someone who does other activities in part for the good of doing them, it’s easy to feel under-appreciated. “Because it’s the right thing to do” only carries so much weight when you’re walking to the Metro … Continue reading

Posted in activism, biking, community, gardening | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Swapping Seeds for Fun and Not Profit

I’ve had terrible luck raising plants from seed the last two years. Nonetheless, I’m quite stubborn and know that if I learn how to do it correctly, I can succeed. Which is why I persisted in going to the Washington … Continue reading

Posted in community, food, gardening | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

Culture Shock: What I’ve Learned About Sustainable Food from the Hunger Games

On brutal winter days like yesterday – 10 degrees! – there’s nothing I’d rather do than get a hot drink and read. Or to quote C.S. Lewis, “You can’t get a cup of tea big enough, or a book long … Continue reading

Posted in community, cooking, food, social justice, Transition Towns | Tagged , , , , , | 1 Comment

Namaste!

If I’m exercising these days in a non-transportation capacity, it’s likely that if I’m not on a bike, I’m on a yoga mat. In the beginning, I was skeptical about yoga. My first yoga class was about fifteen years ago … Continue reading

Posted in biking, community, Washington DC | Tagged , , | 5 Comments

When friends come to call, it’s the happiest season of all

Holiday parties run in both my biological and “adopted” family. My parents threw a Christmas brunch every year, with multiple types of soups and quiches. Chris’s family has a group of friends that they share Christmas Eve with, rotating the … Continue reading

Posted in community, cooking, family, food, recipe | Tagged , , , , , | 2 Comments